I’ve decided that I need a wardrobe update. Scrolling through Instagram made me realize how some styles have changed and I’m sick of my old clothes. In the past few months, I’ve donated or sold a lot of clothing so my closet is looking a little empty. So I took to YouTube to find videos on styles for 2022- specifically styles for people over 40 because not all of the younger trends are as wearable for me. What I found was really disappointing. Several channels suggested blazers (which I HATE) that were $700. Or they suggested some Chanel clothing which costs thousands. I wanted some white sneakers so I checked out a video comparing those as well. What did they promote? Gucci sneakers that are $650. Then the creator who was reviewing them said they weren’t even comfortable! For $650, they better massage my feet while I walk. Frustrated, I went to Marshall’s. I found a really cute pair of Danskin white sneakers for $20. I didn’t find much else but I was happy to find those to at least update my footwear. Anyhow, here’s some things I’m into that cost less than a Chanel bag:
- La Chatelaine Hand Cream: One of my best friends sent this to me in a care package and I love it! I have the scent Amber Cashmere but they seem to have a lot of different scents. This is not greasy at all and really helps with dry hands. The reviews compare it to the expensive L’Occitane hand cream. However, the L’Occitane brand is $30 and this is $9.50 for the same size.
- Sol by Jergens Sunless Tanning Mousse: I found out about this by accident. My normal self tanner was sold out so I picked this up at Walmart and I like it even better. I use a mitt to apply it and I haven’t had any issues with it streaking. It’s not tinted so you can’t see it when you put it on, but I promise it’s easy to use. Best of all, it doesn’t smell bad like some self tanners. You can find this at Walmart of Target but I included the Amazon link so that it’s easier to order.
- Zocilor Backpack Purse: I went to a few girl’s outings and noticed several women carrying cute backpack purses. I was lugging my tote purse around and the backpack seemed a lot easier. I sent my husband this link and he purchased it for me for Christmas. I really like this because it has several pockets and compartments. It also comes with a detachable strap that you can use if you want it to be a shoulder bag. I’ve received several compliments on this and I tell everyone to buy it. I have it in gray but they have a lot of other colors if that’s not your thing.
- Kirundo Turtleneck Sweater: Funny story about this sweater- I’d been looking at it for a couple of months, but hadn’t purchased it. Then at Thanksgiving, my sister showed up wearing it! My mom purchased it for me for Christmas and I love it. If you’re unsure about turtlenecks, try this one because the neck isn’t super tight. This isn’t a cheaply made sweater. The knit is really tight so it won’t stretch out weirdly and it feels a lot more lux than the price tag suggests. I have it in the burgundy shade and my sister has it in brown. I have a medium and it’s slightly oversize. If you feel like you’re between sizes, I’d order the smaller size. I’ve worn it with skinny jeans and boots and every time I’ve worn it, I’ve gotten a compliment. That’s not me in the photo below (duh) but I’m sitting here in my sweats with no makeup so you won’t get a pic of me today….
- Skinnygirl Seamless Camisole: I wear a camisole or tank under EVERYTHING and I’m picky about them. I don’t want them to be too long (2009 is over and we’re not wearing long tank tops anymore) and I want them to have some compression without being too tight. I found these in Marshall’s but they’re available on Amazon too. They’re more expensive on Amazon so check your local TJ Maxx or Marshall’s first. I’ve had these for over a year and they hold up better than the really expensive tanks I’ve purchased. They smooth over every bump and lump and they’re thick enough that you could wear them as a tank top if you wanted to. I can’t seem to find a decent pic of these so there won’t be a photo. You’ll just have to trust me.
- Moroccan Oil Hair & Body Fragrance Mist: Moroccan Oil products are the best smelling products I’ve even found. So when they made a body spray, I immediately bought it. Sephora’s website says it’s a smell of spicy amber and magnolia. I think it smells like fabric softener with some spice. I wish my whole home could smell like this because it’s really fresh.
- Godefroy Spot Coloring Kit: I color my eyebrows? Why? Because they used to be darker and I don’t always want to waste time in the morning with an eyebrow pencil. This is really easy to use and comes with everything you need to mix up the color and apply it. I always mean to leave mine on for 15- 20 minutes but I usually get busy cleaning and leave it on for about a half hour. I use medium brown right now. I used dark brown but they looked almost black so I switched. My friend with dark hair uses the dark brown and it works really well on her. This kit includes 4 capsules but you only need about a half of a capsule per use.
- Danskin Boost Sneakers: I mentioned these above and I included a link. However, I purchased these for $20 at Marshall’s so I’d suggest checking Marshalls or Tj Maxx first. I just got these yesterday and they feel really comfortable but I haven’t worn them out yet. I figured at $20, if I didn’t like them or couldn’t keep them white, I wouldn’t be too upset if I had to let them go. White sneakers are really in right now and I’ve seen a lot of people even wearing them with cute jeans instead of just athletic wear.
- Milani Makeup Melter: Way back when I worked at Clinique, I learned why you need to remove your makeup before you wash your skin. If you just wash your skin, you’re just taking the makeup off and not removing the impurities. Have I always followed this advise? No. But my skin looks better when I remove the makeup, then use my cleanser. I like this because it takes off all of my makeup including eye makeup. I included the link to purchase but you can also get this at Walmart and Ulta.
- Better Homes & Gardens Salted Coconut & Mahogany Candle: I’m very picky on scent- especially home scents. I love this because it smells like a combo of coconut and cologne. I have the 12 ounce size burning in my kitchen right now and I can smell it here in my home office. This comes in several sizes and in wax melts if you’re not interested in lighting a candle. It smells like an expensive candle you’d get at some fancy department store.
Those are the things I’m into right now. I’m also into cleaning out closets and donating things I don’t need or want. I hate clutter and I’m definitely not a hoarder. I decided after 3 years of living in Arkansas, most of the old home décor I hadn’t used needed a new home. I’m also into hanging out with friends again. Christmas was busy for everyone, then it seemed like we went through 3-4 weeks where everyone we know got COVID. I was included in that. I tested positive on the 12th and spent a few days feeling like crap. I’m better now except the sinus stuff that won’t go away ( No, I don’t need your medicine recommendations. I can’t take decongestants. Yes, I’m taking Vitamin C). Right now, I’m ready for spring weather and hopefully finding some new clothes. We’ve been talking about our next trip to Iowa to see the new baby ( my brother and his wife had a bay January 12- yes, the same day I got the Rona) and see some other friends and family. I’m looking online for a dress for my stepdaughter’s wedding too. I made the mistake of searching “Stepmother of the Bride” dresses. This is when I decided that the Internet hates stepmoms. Everything they showed me was fit for a pilgrim, a Golden Girl (RIP Betty White) or Kim Kardashian. None of those are the look I’m going for. I guess I’ll have to brave it and hit up some stores.
Have a great day!
** All opinions on this blog are my own ( duh) I am not compensated for this post and I do not have the copyrights to these photos**