Want to hear something some people find disgusting? I only wash my hair once a week. Some people are appalled by that, but I’ve found it saves my sanity. My hair is crazy thick and really long. Washing it is a whole event. Whenever I tell someone this, they had one of 2 reactions: 1) Eww…how do you do that? or 2) Me too! I used to wash my hair every other day and gradually increased the time between washings. I don’t believe washing your hair everyday is necessary, especially if you have long hair. Washing your hair strips it of the natural oils and can even make it produce MORE oil, giving you a greasy feel. Want your color to last longer? Don’t wash your hair everyday. Think of your old favorite shirt. If you washed it everyday, it would get faded and thin feeling. That’s what happens to your hair. Then you wonder why your color is dull and your hair is breaking off. If you’re ready to remove a step from your beauty routine, try these tips:
- Wash your hair right the first time. Ever notice how your hair feels clean and soft when you leave the salon? Your stylist probably shampoos twice and conditions once. You need to wash product and dirt out of your hair. When I wash mine, the shampoo barely lathers the first time. The second wash is when it actually gets clean. Then I condition it by applying conditioner to the ends, letting it set for a few minutes and rinsing. Make sure you rinse your hair well. Leftover shampoo and conditioner can make your hair feel greasy and grimy. Make partings in your hair while you’re rinsing to make sure you’re getting your scalp clean too!
- Use the right shampoo and conditioner. Most drugstore products have waxes and fillers in them. This is why your hair feels soft the first day then greasy the second day. I beg of you, get your products from a salon. Ask your stylist what you should be using. If you don’t have a regular stylist, stop in a salon and just ask. Someone will be happy to help you. Yes, the salon products are a few more dollars, but you’ll save so much by not washing your hair every day and by using the correct products. Biolage and Kenra have more budget friendly options than some salon brands. I really like Biolage Cooling Mint Shampoo and Conditioner for summer months.
- Style your hair after your wash. I have wavy hair that can get quite frizzy if I just let it air dry. So I make sure to blow dry it after I wash it. My routine goes like this: 1) Wash hair in the shower 2) Spray in Pravana Detangler and comb through with a wide tooth comb 3) Spray in a blow dry spray to help speed up drying time. I like Kenra Blow Dry Spray and Redken Pillow Proof Primer. 4) Add some Moroccan Oil to the ends and let it air dry for about an hour 5)Section may hair off and blow dry it straight. While I’m drying I spray in more blow dry spray as needed. After I’m finished, I add more oil to the ends. This way, I can wear it straight for a few days then curl it.
- Use dry shampoo. I use to hate dry shampoo until I found one I liked. I really like Redken Pillow Proof two Day Extender. I’ve found the best way to use these products is to use them at night instead of the morning. When you use them on oily morning hair, it just gets clumpy. Before you go to bed, spray your part and hairline with dry shampoo. Then brush your roots or tousle it with your hands. This way, the dry shampoo will work during the night at soaking up the oil instead of just trying to cover it up during the day.
- Curl your hair. I usually curl my hair on day 3 or 4 after washing. The gritty texture helps to hold the curl in. You still need to use heat protectant though! I’ve been using Rusk Thermal Spray. Section your hair, curl it, tousle it and go. If I curl my hair one day, it can look good the next day as well. It’s all about the product you use. Again, ask your stylist. To make mine look good with second day curls, I use some Lanza Dry Texture Spray and Kenra Dry Oil Spray to perk it up.
- Find new ways to wear your hair. Lately, I’ve been wearing my hair half up. I normally HATE my hair half up because I think I look like a little kid. I’ve found pulling it up from the temples up instead of from the ears up helps this. Sometimes I braid it and finish it off with a messy topknot. I love doing this if I’ve curled my hair the day before or even 2 days ago because the wavy texture makes it look better. If you want to add a headband, that’s a great way to keep your hair off your face if you think it’s too greasy. Check out Pinterest and TikTok for quick tutorials and inspiration. Right now, it’s really hot and humid so my hair has been in a ponytail or bun most of the weekend. If I’m getting fancy later, I’ll throw it up in a baseball hat.
There’s really not much to it. It’s all about experimenting with your hair and seeing what works best for you. Personally, washing and drying my hair takes way too long to do everyday. If you’re hesitant to go a whole week, just start by going an extra day in between. You kind of have to train yourself and your hair to see what works the best for you. Some people like to wet their hair down and blow dry it even on the days they aren’t washing. That might work better for you. Who knows?
In addition to not washing my hair, I’ve been busy living my normal life. Work, annoying my husband, and all that good stuff. My two youngest stepkids are visiting this weekend and I’m super excited about that. I’m hoping to take some time off work while they’re here. It’s supposed to be 100 degrees everyday so we’ll probably be by the pool or in the AC. We’re heading out grocery shopping later to pick up their favorite snacks and foods. We’ve been socializing mostly with our neighbors. It’s so fun to live in a great neighborhood where you can walk across the street or next door to hang out with people. Last week, we went to a friend’s for supper and everyone ordered takeout. So easy and so fun. We’re considering a trip back to Iowa in September and we’re definitely going back in January because my sister in law and brother are going to have a baby! I’m so excited to buy clothes for another little one! I don’t want a kid of my own but I like buying stuff for other people’s babies. I know my strengths. My strengths are buying clothes, putting outfits together, and telling other people what to wear and what beauty products they need in their life. And being snarky. Very snarky.
Ok, go have a good day and don’t wash your hair. Do something fun instead.
**All opinions on this post are my own. I am not compensated for this post. Unless you feel you want to pay me**